Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count of fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimb0ne

Programmer
Oct 6, 2003
CA
hopefully a simple question...
I have 2 tables, one table is my main table, which stores doctor consultations, one field in said table is the name of the doctor who gave the consultation.

In my second table I have a list of the doctors names, and the type of doctor which they are, eg. obstetrician, oncologist, etc. These are not unique, eg. Dr. John smith and doctor james smith are both obstetricians.

what I want to be able to do is look at my main table, the list of consultations that is, and count the number of each TYPE of doctor that has given a consultation. So if 7 doctors who are all obstetricians have given 234 consulations between them, I want to be able to get that number using a query, or something to effect.

Thanks people,
Jimb0ne

A starting point:
SELECT B.[type of doctor], Count(*) As Consultations
FROM table1 A INNER JOIN table2 B
ON A.[name of the doctor] = B.[doctor name]
GROUP BY B.[type of doctor];

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back