Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

count number of month

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbeeharry

Programmer
Aug 22, 2007
AT
i have a situation where i must count the number of month an employee is active in a year :
Example 1: from Jan to May Active, June to July on leave, August to Sept
Active, so 7 months
Example 2: from Jan to May Active, from June to Sept Terminated..so 5
Months
or the employee can be active at any moment in the year and i must count it all.
can you help me in writing this sql?

thks

Sample data, please?

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

Sample data :

Ebase table : ebid,firstname,lastname, adress,ect..
Employee table:eeideb(foreign key) ,datebeg,dateend,status

when an employee is active, dateend is null
and status ='active'

the query will be run yearly from
Jan. - Dec.

is it clearer for you now?

Something like that:
Code:
[COLOR=blue]DECLARE[/color] @SomeYear [COLOR=blue]int[/color]
[COLOR=blue]SET[/color] @SomeYear = 2007
[COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] eBase.*,
       Tbl1.MntActive
[COLOR=blue]FROM[/color] eBase
[COLOR=blue]INNER[/color] [COLOR=blue]JOIN[/color] ([COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] eeideb, [COLOR=#FF00FF]COUNT[/color](*) [COLOR=blue]AS[/color] MntActive
                   [COLOR=blue]FROM[/color] ([COLOR=blue]SELECT[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]DISTINCT[/color] eeideb, 
                                         [COLOR=#FF00FF]MONTH[/color](datebeg) [COLOR=blue]AS[/color] Mnt,
                                         [COLOR=#FF00FF]YEAR[/color](datebeg) [COLOR=blue]AS[/color] yr
                          [COLOR=blue]FROM[/color] Employee 
                          [COLOR=blue]WHERE[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]YEAR[/color](datebeg) = @SomeYear AND
                                Status        = [COLOR=red]'active'[/color]  AND
                                dateEnd [COLOR=blue]IS[/color] NULL) Tbl1
[COLOR=blue]ON[/color] eBase.ebid = Tbl1.eeideb
not tested

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP1, SQL Server 2000/2005.
MVP VFP

Are employees always active or on vacation for whole month periods?

[COLOR=black #e0e0e0]For SQL and technical ideas, visit my blog, Squared Thoughts.[/color]

Borislav, what if an employee is active for a whole year and has no begin date or end date in that year? Instead of listing that year with 12 active months your query will just skip it.

Start with a numbers table. I'll call this Numbers0 since it is convenient for it to start with 0 instead of 1:

Code:
CREATE TABLE Numbers0 (Num int identity(0, 1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED)
SET NOCOUNT ON
INSERT Numbers0 DEFAULT VALUES
WHILE Scope_Identity() < 9999 INSERT Numbers0 DEFAULT VALUES
And now a query to use that table:

Code:
SELECT
   B.*,
   Y2.ActiveYear,
   Y2.ActiveMonthCount,
   InactiveMonthCount = 12 - Y2.ActiveMonthCount
FROM
   eBase B
   INNER JOIN (
      SELECT
         eeideb,
         ActiveYear,
         ActiveMonthCount = Sum(DateDiff(mm,
            CASE WHEN Year(E.datebeg) = ActiveYear THEN E.datebeg ELSE DateAdd(yy, ActiveYear - 2000, '1/1/2000') END,
            CASE WHEN Year(E.dateend) = ActiveYear THEN E.dateend ELSE DateAdd(yy, ActiveYear - 2000, '12/1/2000') END
         ) + 1)
      FROM
         (
            SELECT ActiveYear = Year(GetDate()) - Num
            FROM Numbers0
            WHERE Num <= (SELECT Year(GetDate()) - Min(Year   (datebeg) FROM Employee)
         ) Y
         INNER JOIN Employee E ON Y.ActiveYear BETWEEN Year(E.datebeg) AND Year(E.dateend) AND E.Status = 'active'
      GROUP BY
         eeideb,
         ActiveYear
   ) Y2
   INNER JOIN eBase B ON Y2.eeideb = B.ebid

[COLOR=black #e0e0e0]For SQL and technical ideas, visit my blog, Squared Thoughts.[/color]

By the way, this query will skip years where an employee did not work at all. I'm guessing that's better than showing every employee that's ever been in the system as 0 each year.

If you need all past employees every year then I can tweak the query for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back