Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count group increments when using <cfoutput> with group specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilllwaiting

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
US
Hello everyone.

I have a query which joins several tables.

Orders & OrderItems

I use <Cfoutput Group="OrderID"> which is the primary key for the Orders Table. Then I use the nested Cfoutput Tag to display the Items for each order in a neat list.

ORDER 1
Product 1
Product 2
ORDER 2
Product 3
Product 4
Product 5

and so on. This part is working fine. However, we have a lot of orders, so I want to use page separators where the user can skip through pages of orders. Usually I'd just use STARTROW and MAXROWS in the <CFOUTPUT> tag and that'd be that. However if want to see 50 orders and I say MAXROW="50" if there are multiple items per order, I won't see my entire list. Is there a way to get the row numer in increments of the group field? Meaning if I'm at order 57 and I want to start my next page at order 107 can I get the row number of the first row with order 107 WITHOUT RUNNING ANOTHER QUERY.

I can think of several ways of doing this by running more queries, but that is counterproductive to my cause.

Thanks in advance.

use query of query

query your result set like this --

<cfquery name="getorderdetailcounts" dbtype="query">
select OrderID
, count(*) as orderdetails
from getorderdetails
group
by OrderID
</cfquery>

this gives you an array of orders with the number of detail rows they have, which you can then use to generate your page numbers -- you would calculate X orderdetails per page, then sum up the orderdetails counts in the array to find out where the page breaks go

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back