Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgreich

MIS
Aug 31, 2004
US
I am developing a simple help desk type of database. I am looking for a way to add a unique ticket number to each document. My immediate thought was to do some sort of count of the documents in the database and just add one to each new document. I can't figure out how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Keep in mind that I am very green when it comes to lotuscript.

Thanks.

Creating a unique number is rather easy : you can use the NotesID property of the notes document (8 digits alphanumerical) if the database is unique, or you can create a number scheme defined by date/time data.

You could use the Universal ID, but at 32 chars, it would probably be a trifle difficult to give to the user over the phone.

You can assign a prefix based on the name of the helpdesk operator, plus a 5-digit sequential number to know who recorded the ticket and have an easy and reliable sequence for each operator.

What you should be wary of doing is trying to create a unique sequential code for all operators and tickets - Notes does not handle that kind of thing well, and it is a nuisance to implement. Not difficult, but a nuisance.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back