Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count areas of numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathon

Programmer
Apr 20, 2005
DE
Hi,

I have an excel-sheet with the following column of numbers

Code:
And I want to get the following column from the above column:
Code:

Is that possible? with count and then write the correponding number only once in the other column or something like that?

I appreciate every tipp.

Regards
matti

Under Data, Filter, check out the advanced filter, where you can filter out unique values to another location.

Is this not possible with functions? because the values can change.

What is it that you are trying to achieve by this - it is doable with functions but is very inefficient - please describe what you need to do with the list of unique numbers and how the data gets into the longer list on a recurring basis - we should then be able to give you the best solution for your specific scenario

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

The Advance filter works but doesn't update. But if you put it in an _Change sub then that solves that problem
Code:
Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Column = 1 Then
        Range("A1").EntireColumn.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
            CopyToRange:=Range("C1").EntireColumn, Unique:=True
    End If

End Sub

mathon,

Judging from your postings, you do not understand many basic Excel data analysis features.

I'd suggest becomming familiar with how Excel works and what Excel tools are available to address various kinds of problems, before you try to use VBA to do anyting.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back