Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Couldn't initialize report

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdoxuser

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a report form with one table object in the record section. I am trying to sort on one of the fields by specifying the sort in the record band.

When I run the report I get two error messages.
1. Couldn't initialize report
2. Expecting a column separator in table header.

Any idea what the second error message means?

Thanks...

What is the path of the table? What is the sort fields name? Does the report run with out the sort?

I have seen this error message before, if I recall it had to do with the length of the path. The whole path to the table plus the sort info can't be longer than a certain number of characters. I can't remember what the exact number is, I think it's around 70. If the table path is long and or the sort field's name is long you will have a problem, this is a BDE issue.

Perrin

I had this error when I first moved to WinXP/Paradox 10 from Win98/Paradox 8. When I removed the sort from the records band of the report that got rid of the error. The only problem was having to sort the report data by a mixture of grouping and objectpal sorting the source table.

Glenn

Thanks for the info. The problem was the length of the file path and filename. The total length exceeded 66 characters. I solved this problem by placing the table on the local drive to shorten the length of the path. FYI, I am using Paradox 9.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back