Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could the G3 400Mhz 128MB handle OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
Does anybody have a G3 400Mhz with OSX. I want to know how the performance runs. Thanks

Have a 333MHz 160Mb iMac at home on which I ran 10.1 (not Jaguar). The poor speed was reason enough to send me back to 9.2.2. I also couldn't get drivers for a couple of my peripherals.

Eventually I will go to 10.2, but only when I upgrade. Thanks to the fab spec of the new powerbooks, that may be sooner than I was expecting!
lex

I have a G3400 imac dv se. I am running Jaguar 10.2.2 and I do not have any problems with it at all. I do notice a speed difference when I boot os 9.2, but speed for features is the big tradeoff here. It is not bad though! Still very workable.

I run 10.1.5 on a 350MHz iMac with 320 Mb RAM. There seems to be no problem.

If you find yourself often waiting for things to process on your current system, you may wait a smidgen longer if you upgrade to a higher OS (no matter what platform).

Mac OS 10.2.2 runs great on my slotloading iMac 350Mhz with 512 MB RAM, no anoying delays on anything at all.

SOunds lke you are asking about a tower when you say "G3 400" though I'm assuming...then all the above folks respond with iMac info. Weird.

I'm running a 400Mhz b/w yosemite at the house with 10.1 and 384MB or X-compliant RAM.

I find it quite nice on the speed front. No real issues unless I'm running something like GoLive in Classic and then I get some image draw issues. I pretty much stay OUT of Classic. Run photoshop etc on the X side with no trouble.

Macgeneral

G3 400 Mhz computers may be iMacs. The iMac responses in this thread were given to show that a lesser computer can handle OSX.

Just a comment, those folks with near 128 Meg of RAM seemed unhappy, folks with same CPU speeds but over 256 meg of RAM seem happy, this may well be significant. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Add more Memmory - It will help a lot.
I have 384mg ram on a Rev B G3 Imac and it ran acceptable.
I have since upgraded it to a 600Mhz G3 and it runs very nice - I'll never use OS 9 again!

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back