Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could Someone point me in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gw73

MIS
Dec 30, 2001
US
I am still new at access and need some ideas. I have created a database that I would like to send the results of a query to an excel spredsheet, once there I need to do some statistics that are not available, at least not affordiably available in access, I would like this automated so the user just waits until the calculations are done, then I would like to send these results back to another table in access where I could make a report. What I want to know is this possible. I'm not looking for specific code just ideas.

Thanks
GW73

Well - what you descibe is possible and I suggest you use the technique of communicating with the excel object from within code. So create an Excel Object - for example..
Dim MyEO As Excel.Application

Then use the built-in methods of the Excel object to open and manipulate the spreadsheet. Then use code within access to define recordsets to tables and update these where applicable.

Sorry this is vague, but without resorting to a lot of code (which I dont have time to do anyway) - its tricky to be more specific. I do suggest that this may not be easy if as you say - you are new to Access.

Anyway, I hope this helps - and good luck tou you.

Cheers..

Actually, MOST Excel functions are available directly from Ms. A. (or most any other program). YOu just need to add a reference to the installed Excel Library. Find references on the Tools menu. Look up how to to add the individual reference in Help.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks to both of you for sending me in the right direction I'm sure to visit this forum more often.

GW73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back