Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could somebody please help me with XML namespaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afroblanca

Programmer
Jul 15, 2005
US
Hello,

I'm using XML in two different situations, and both call for an XML namespace. I'm new to XML, and am not even sure what an XML namespace is or why I need one.

In the first situation, I'm using XPath to query an XML document. The method XPathNavigator.GetAttribute takes a NamespaceURI argument. Right now, I just supply an empty string for this argument, and everything works fine. Am I doing this correctly, or should I be doing something different?

In the second situation, I have an XML web service. In many places, the code requires an XML namespace. The code-generation tool supplies , however, when I go to tempuri.org, it is suggested that I change this to something else. Why do I need to change it, and what do I need to change it to? What happens if I don't change it, and just use tempuri.org?

Finally, does anybody know of a good, brief tutorial that explains what XML namespaces are and what they're used for?

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back