Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could not perform this operation because the defauly mail client ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am currently having a problem that I cannot figure out. I have IE 6.0, and use Outlook 2000 and Windows XP.

When I click on an email address in IE, a new message box should pop up from Outlook. Instead, I get this message:

Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.

Does anyone know how to fix this???

Blake

Were you able to figure this one out ? I get the same problem.

Thanks,

Rob

rpmrob, what mail client are you trying to use?

Outlook XP is my email client and it uses an account directed to a Novell Groupwise server.

MS idea to work around this is:
To work around this issue:
In Internet Explorer, click Source on the View menu.
In the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) source code, locate the list of e-mail recipients. For example:<A HREF=&quot;mailto:someone@somewhere.net,anyone@anywhere.net&quot;>visible
text</A>

Select the e-mail addresses.
Copy the e-mail addresses to the Clipboard by clicking Copy on the Edit menu.
Quit Notepad.
In Outlook Express, click Compose Message.
Click the To box, and then click Paste on the Edit menu.
==========================
IMHO that is not the problem. You could try:
How to change the default mail client

Open Internet Explorer 4.x.
From the View menu, choose Internet Options.
Click on the Programs tab.
Click the arrow box on the E-mail drop-down list and choose another mail program.
Click the OK button.
Windows is now changed to use your new selection as the default e-mail client. Try using the mail again.
But I don't think this will help in the majority of situations.

Outlook Commandline Switches:(/CheckClient switch below)

Command-line switches
/a &quot;path\filename&quot; creates an item with the specified file as an attachment.

For example: &quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe&quot; /a &quot;C:\My Documents\labels.doc&quot;

/c messageclass creates a new item of the specified message class (Outlook forms or any other valid MAPI form).

/c ipm.activity creates a Journal entry.

/c ipm.appointment creates an appointment.

/c ipm.contact creates a contact.

/c ipm.note creates an e-mail message.

/c ipm.stickynote creates a note.

/c ipm.task creates a task.

/CheckClient prompts for the default manager of e-mail, news, and contacts.

/Cleanfinders removes saved searches from the Microsoft Exchange Server store.

/CleanFreeBusy cleans and regenerates free/busy information.

/CleanReminders cleans and regenerates reminders.

/CleanSchedPlus deletes all Schedule+ data (free/busy, permissions, and .cal file) from the server and enables the free/busy information from the Outlook Calendar to be used and viewed by all Schedule+ 1.0 users.

/CleanViews restores default views. All custom views you created are lost.

/Embedding msgfilename opens the specified message file (.msg) as an OLE embedding.

/f msgfilename opens the specified message file (.msg).

/Nopreview turns off the Preview Pane and removes the option from the View menu.

/p msgfilename prints the specified message file (.msg).

/Profile profilename loads the specified profile. (If your profile name contains a space, enclosed the profile name in quotation marks (&quot;).

/Profiles opens the Choose Profile dialog box regardless of the options setting on the Tools menu.

/Recycle starts Outlook using an existing Outlook window, if one exists.

/Regserver rewrites all Outlook specific registry keys and re-associates file extensions without having to reinstall Outlook or run setup with the /y switch. The settings are stored in the Outlook.srg file located in the same folder as the Outlook program.

/ResetFolders restores missing folders for the default delivery location.

/ResetOutlookBar rebuilds the Outlook Bar.

/s filename loads the specified shortcuts file (.fav).

/Safe starts Outlook without extensions, Preview Pane or toolbar customization.

/select outlook:\\foldername starts Outlook and opens the specified folder.

For example, to open Outlook and display the Calendar use: &quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe&quot; /select outlook:\\calendar

/Unregserver Deletes all registry keys and file associations for Outlook. Its actions are based on the Outlook.srg file located in the same folder as the Outlook application. Use the /regserver switch to rewrite the registry keys and file associations after using this switch.

Right everybody .

I am having the same problem e.g. when I click on a mail to link in IE6 i get the error message &quot;Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed&quot; .

I am using Win2k sp4 , I have deleted all the contents of the &quot;Outlook Express&quot; folder be cause I am trying to prevent customers from using it at all.

I have Mozilla ThunderBird installed on my machine and have selected it as the default mail client within &quot;Tools\Options and the programs tab&quot;.

I don't understand this thing about the &quot;456&quot; character limit with Outlook Express and don't understand why I am still getting the error as I am not even using &quot;Outlook Express&quot;. And where do I start counting to see if I am over the &quot;456&quot; char limit.

Should I not have deleted all the files in the outlook express folder? Were they required by the system to be able to use mail correctly even if I use a totally different mail client?

Any help most appreciated.

Check your file assoications in windows explorer to see what command it is trying to run for URL:MailTo Protocol.

When in file types press the letter N to get to the general area as the file association for this protocol is listed under N/A.

One you find the protocol see what command line it is running.

Cheers

joegz
&quot;Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is.&quot;

Firstly -- In IE tools - internet options - programs - email and default email as Outlook Express.

Now click on the email to link..It should open in Outlook Express..
Close it..
Again go back to tools - internet options - programs - email and set default email back to - Microsoft Outlook.
Try clicking the email link

any luck ???

as always steps from microsoft KB

regards
MP

Guys..really curious to see if the problem solved with mu above suggestion..post back

Murugs

No - sorry. I get &quot;Cannot Create Item&quot; error.

But thanks anyway!

Rob

Cheers Murug,

Your solution sorted out the problem we were having at work!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back