Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

could not get console login in terminal window in hmc

Status
Not open for further replies.

leno

Technical User
Apr 11, 2005
SG
Guys,

I have encountered a weird issue with one of my lpars. I could not get a console login prompt when I open the terminal window to that lpar in the hmc. It just hung there on "open completed". I have to press control^c in order for the login prompt to appear. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks for any help,
Steven

Could it be possible that you are running another termial window of the same lpar somewhere else!?!

Maybe if you try to reset or close terminal windows from the HMC of that LPAR (I don't remember the exact word as i'm not in front of a machine right now), the problem will be solved!

Can you telnet to the machine? if so then try to see if you have any thing in the errpt -a!

Regards,
Khalid

First I thought some getty issue, maybe in the inittab. But if finally you can obtain the login prompt, then I shoud be wrong.

--Trifo

Did you try press some "Enter" in the screen?
Then you should see the console.

By the default behavior, getty should be notified about terminal open event, thus it should be able to show the login prompt whitout pressing any key. Even thogh pressing ENTER might help getty to avake.

--Trifo

Hi guys, thanks for the reply. No, pressing enter does not help. The login prompt just doesn't appear but it's there, cause when I press cntrl^C or keys in any letters and press enter, it prompts me for a password. This suggests that the login prompt is there but its not visible in the window.. mabbe I should reinstall the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back