Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could It Be The Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWild

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
I'm not much of a hardware guy, and this question is not about my computer. So I don't have much information on it. Basically if you turn the computer on, you get nothing.

That would be the power supply right?

Not necessarily. Could be a bad motherboard, too.

Need more info. DO you get any fan turn-on, and hard drive or floppy noise? Any activity at all on monitor?

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

I'm at work at the moment, but when I have some more free time I will call the person and ask them for more information. I will then post it back up here.

This could be anything.
1. Do any lights or sound eminate from the PC?
2. If you plug another appliance into the same power outlet does it work?
3. If you try a known woirking power cable to the PC does it work?
4. Does the monitor light switch on if plugged into the same power outlet?
5. When you open the case are the any lights visably on on the motherboard? (when the PC is "powered on"
6. When u take off the case can you try hitting the power button?
Let me know how you get on answering these questions.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Assuming you have an atx power supply.
Unplug the main 20pin power connector to the motherboard,leave the HDD, CDR, & FDD conectors fitted.
Get a bent paperclip and short out the green wire pin to the adjacent black wire pin. Plug in the mains chord, and if applicable set the power supply's power switch to on.

If the Powersupply fan spins, listen for the Hard drive spinning up, if they do your power supply is 95% chance of being ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back