Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could it be the display adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjnovo923

Technical User
Sep 17, 2001
US
I had a customer tell me that his monitor was flickering on our computer. I told him to check this monitor on another computer; he did and it worked fine. He told me that he had other monitors laying around so I asked him to try these monitors on our computer. And the flickering remained. I have never faced this problem before and I have no answers for him. I told him that I would research his problem and get back to him as soon as possible. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

sjnovo923

Why don't you post the Motherboard/Video Card configuration?
I would guess you will not be able to fix this without testing it yourself.

Could be a power supply problem. You could ask the customer to tell you the information on the power supply. Might be worth it to swap out the power supply and see if that is it. These newer CPU's have specific power requirements. I've replaced the power supply now on the last 2 computers I bought, due to failure.

If the customer had an older PC sitting around, they could try to put in a cheap video card and test it with that. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Sometimes when the PC hasn't detected the monitor, ie plug & played, it will set the monitor to Default VGA settings, possibly only 256 colours on a very low refresh rate.
Refresh rates below 60htz will appear to flicker.
Right click on a blank bit of desktop, press settings tab, then advanced button and finally the adapter button, see if the graphics adapter description matches the card you have installed???? if not the graphics driver will need reinstalling, then check the refresh rate is set to optimal, this will set the best refresh rate your monitor is capable of displaying (if you manually set the refresh rate don't go too high) your coputer may not display an image when you restart.
Also when you are in settings check that the monitor you have has been detected and the correct box's are checked.
If the PC won't plug and play the monitor you will just have to set it to the closest thing (SVGA default) is usual.
Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back