Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coud you guys take a look? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aTrrak

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2005
RO
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes:
I would very much appreciate it if anyone could take a look at and tell me some impressions and share some thoughts. Don't be gentle; lay it on me as hard as possible, but bear in mind that it's nowhere near finished!
It's still under construction as we're still in the process of contracting more vendors who deal in jewelry and diamonds and such, but I'd like to hear some opinions regarding the site. Thanks!

It contains my all timegripe about a website --a 'Contact Us' page with no contact information.

IMHO, a contact us page should always inclue the full mailing address and phone # of the organization -- this provides more evidence that you are not a fly-by-night organization.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

There seems to be quite a bit to do if you want to be taken seriously!

As a website:
1. No doctype
2. Doesn't validate for HTML
3. CSS dodgy
4. Bloated images = unacceptable download times (even looks slow on DSL)

As a business:
1. No actual business info
2. Links page isn't links
3. Check your spelling
4. Product list far too long and unorganised

Your links to other sites take your visitor away from your site. If you add [tt]target="_blank"[/tt] to the link tags, it will open these sites in a new window, and keep your site there. Only do this to links to sites other than yours.

Hope this helps.

Your main page is the first thing that people see about your site. You should put some catchy marketing pitch on the main page (eg. discounts, promotion, description, etc.) to encourage people to click your other links and explore your site.

From my point of view when I first arrived at your main page, I get "Ok, this guy sells diamonds" but there is no information on what makes your business different and why I should stay on. You should put some of the stuffs from your other pages to your main one. For instance, (this is taken from your wedding section), you can put the following on the main page.

"Create your own, or choose from a number of the top international diamond ring designers, all offering beautiful and unique diamond jewelry that would suit a variety of budgets. Click here to learn how."

Also, I get a little confused about your links to other vendors. Wouldn't that encourage your users to buy directly from those other sites rather than from you?

Henry

Thank you everyone for your replies. You've all been very helpful. I am quite aware that there's still al lot to do with the site, as I said we haven't had the chance to concentrate so much on bebimi.com 's look and feel since we're currently trying to contract jewelry vendor to affiliate with us. Your suggestions are an excellent guideline and I really appreciate it. Please, don’t hesitate to criticize some more; constructive criticism of course.
Thanks again!

Precious is spelled wrong under the diamonds link...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

Yep, you’re perfectly right about that. Just checked bebimi.com myself now and it's true. Unfortunately I won't be able to fix this until Monday... but thanks!

@Henryas: bebimi.com is an affiliate jewelry website (correct me if I am wrong aTrrak), so it's normal to find different links pointing to reliable vendors.

You're right Seth; we're affiliated with different jewelry sellers.
So, what do you guys think now about bebimi.com and its new look. Please say it better than the previous site, at least a little bit. :)
Seriously now, your comments are always welcome!

Nice progress, but still a bit to do.
As a website, you still haven't got valid doctype, or valid html. Try
then:

Using CSS properly would tidy up your source code quite a lot.

It's also hard to tell which of the links are internal and which are external, so you never know who you're dealing with. This (along with the lack of REAL contact information) makes the whole exercise look shady and underhand.

Don't know how your business model works, but there seem to be very few associate links and a lot of non-associate links (i.e. ones that don't identify your business as the lead source)

Thanks. You're right, forgot about that contact thing again. I hope we can get that sorted out eventually. Don't worry, there's nothing shady about bebimi.com but as I said we're still contracting vendors and so on and this is why some things may get left out in the process. By the time it's completed we'll get everything sorted out. Thanks again for the heads-up; your advice is always welcome!

--As a side note: This should have been posted in the Web Site Designers forum.
[cheers]

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

All I can say is this:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes:
in my defense. :)
I can't do it, but I won't mind if this thread gets relocated. I just wish it won't get deleted because it has been quite useful in the development of bebimi.com and I'm sure it will prove useful in the future as well.
Again, thank you everyone for contributing to this!

I'm not flaming. I just noticed that no one actually did mention the correct forum. ;-)

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

I didn't say you were flaming, I was just making things clear a bit and as I've said you won't see me complaining if the thread gets moved.
It won't matter where it is, just as long as folks decide to share opinions about bebimi.com

Are you doing the coding yourself, or are you paying for it to be done. If your paying, the person building it, if they do this for a living, should be able to point things like the above out. If you're doing this yourself...
[2thumbsup]
Yeah, you may need to fine tune it, but it's a really good start. Much better than mine. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
Groucho Marx
Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

If you are doing it yourself then you did a great job. The website is looking good in a professionally way although you still have to work on your bebimi affiliate links. Some of them don't work. Also, you might have to show a graphical logo for every category the user chooses because right now it's hard to see what kind of category I'm using. I hope you make the best (and the cheapest :) ) jewelry store! Good luck.

Well, me and a couple of friends are working on it and we're not the next Bill Gates if you know what I mean and that's why we're asking for as much input as possible.
I know there's still much to be done at bebimi.com and I'm glad you guys like the new look. I'm taking your advice into account Seth, thank you!

I am glad I helped. ATrrak, what kind of criteria you use for choosing your affiliates. I see a lot of big names there. I take that is going to help us with our where and what questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back