Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Costs of lines - trying to build a FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcilvane

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
This is really stemming from my desire to figure out the costs associated with connecting two KSU systems and was looking for a good general indication of what the monthly or yearly costs of different circuits are.
So, if you can post what your experience has been in provisioning circuits is, I will build this into a FAQ.
For example:
Analog - Ameritech/SBC - $40/per line/month.
T1 - Sprint - $1,200/month
Fractional T1 (512k) - Saavis - $750/month

That sort of thing.

Thanks!

This may be a tougher project then you might think.
To start with the same company will have different rates depending on which market they are in. Where SBC charges 40/mo where you are they may only charge 30 somewhere else.
Most T1 circuits are built with distance charges built into them, so there the price structure gets even worse. example here, I can put in a point to point T1 a couple blocks away for about 200/mo if I get 10 miles away that same circuit will cost at least 600/mo.
Now take your frac T1 from savis @ 750, how much is a full T1? It could be less than the one from Sprint. Heck savis might only be getting 300 for there part, the LEC might be getting 350.
So I think you will see, there are a lot of variations with this stuff.

Check out MCK extenders and gateways. They work on PRI and most low cost DSL/Cable IP links. IP costs would be service at each end and fixed IP addressing.

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back