Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost Justification Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekJock69

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2005
US
Can anyone lead me to a Cost-Justification analysis which shows why someone should purcahse Zenworks over other desktops management tools or simply how does having Zenworks help the company, ROI...

it's cake when you break it down.
1 - imaging. Turns a 4-8 hour PC build into a 10 minute image job with maybe 30min of tweaking. Net savings: 6+ hours per PC every time you build one. Plus fewer support calls bc everyone has the same "flat" PC that you took the time to build "perfectly".. does wonders for your network!
2 - remote control- for the price of PC Anywhere, you have directory enabled remote control with central rights control. that alone would pay for the product as the 'upgrade' price you typically pay for Zen is ~$30-40 per user roughly.
3 - inventory services - tracking all PC's (and servers if you want) takes a load off..
4 - software inventory and license management: making sure you're in compliance..
5 - if you distribute apps via Zen, you can save countless hours of app reinstalls (as users can DIY with a simple rigt click), uninstall and upgrade automagically, add host file entries to everyone, or just a couple people.. the limits of zen are your imagination. Here, zen paid for itself by replacing PCA as the help desk tool. We have a very demanding PC build here and making one typically took 8-10 hours by the time everything was installed and configured. We have that down to about 1 hour. We have also imaged key workstations for rapid full restores in emergencies. This has saved $$$ and time. Being able to generate an inventory report in seconds that tells me every machine, date of OS install, proc, ram, SN#, etc is also very helpful.. I always know what's out there and who is due for a new box..
I could go on, but use your imagination.
there is also a good IDC paper linked from the Novell site about ROI on Zenworks.
Get someone to help you set it up who knows it in and out. You will come up to speed fast, and can have a basic working system in a day (inventory & remote control) imaging (use PXE if possible) takes some extra work but it 100% worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back