Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corruption problems - USB external HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Initially added this to an exiting thread (751-1017886) as I thought it was relevant. Bad idea...

I'm currently investigating corruption problems with a Freecom Classic USB external case with 80Gb drive. A CD was supplied with this drive, but no USBSTOR.SYS or DISK.SYS files included. The computer to which it's being attached runs W2K SP3, and I note that an earlier version of USBSTOR.SYS (5.00.2195.4854) is already in place in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers sub-dir.

Now the questions!

(1) I can find an updated version of USBSTOR.SYS but not DISK.SYS. Are these files like a matched pair, or is just updating USBSTOR.SYS perfectly acceptable? If not, can someone kindly quote a URL please?

(2) I'm lead to believe that SP4 needs to be installed for this external drive to operate correctly, although it's not mentioned in the Freecom documentation, nor has anyone mentioned it the thread above.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

G0AOZ,

To answer the first question, it is okay to update USBSTOR.SYS by itself. DISK.SYS is a class driver and is independent of specific devices.

As far as installing SP4, it would be a good idea, to take full advantage of the ECHI 2.0 USB features.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back