Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupting Datafile's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechEd23

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I run an Oracle 8.1.7.4 database in archive log mode on a windows 2000 server. I backup the oracle database (cold) on tape every night using arcserve 2000.

Now for some reason about once a week. A oracle datafile locks and gets corrupted. This can happen at any time of day and is usually the system.dbf.

I have configured arcserve never to lock a file. So I do not think that it is arcserve.

I have configurted the antivirus to not scan the folders where the datafiles are kept.

*** 2004-02-08 03:30:03.652
*** SESSION ID:(2.1) 2004-02-08 03:30:03.558
KCF: write/open error block=0x123 online=1
file=1 D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\****\SYSTEM01.DBF
error=27072 txt: 'OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.'
error 1242 detected in background process
ORA-01242: data file suffered media failure: database in ARCHIVELOG mode
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 1 (block # 291)
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\****\SYSTEM01.DBF'
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

Can anyone tell me why it is doing this?

The error message tends to imply that something was scanning the dbf when it was written to.

This problem has been going on for about 4 weeks now and I would really appreaciate any help on it.

many thanks

Eddy

Hi,

Just a question: Why do you do a cold backup when your database is in archive log mode?

Have you had a look at the archive log destination (run "archive log list" from svrmgrl) and other datafile disks to see if the disk is not full?

Are there more info in the alert.log file or generated trace files?

J.

Hi J,

I still do cold backups because I only kicked archive log off last week and I have yet to make sure that it is working.

I have downloaded eXtended Task Monitor and enabled the tracing on it so if a database file gets corrupted, I will be able to find out which program/service is responceable.

I have also changed the oracle services login so only they have access to the oracle datafiles.

The only information I could find was what I put in my first post.

Anyway I am hoping that the above will fix my problem.

Thanks for your reply and I will keep you posted if it appears to work.

Regards

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back