Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corrupted registry and irql_not_less_or_equal error

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtlesnake

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
GB
A few hours after replacing my keyboard my computer decided to reboot itself. I thought nothing of it and continued using the computer. A second reboot occured and this time on start up I was left with the message:

Windows/System32/Config/System file missing or corrupt

I looked into this, and it seemed to be a symptom of a corrupt registry, so I followed the steps here:

However, every time I used the recovery console to copy a file I got the message: irql_not_less_or_equal.

I can rename files fine, I can make new directories, but for some reason it won't let me copy files. I really have no idea how to solve this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill

if possible, take the hard drive out and put it into another working 2000/xp system as a secondary drive. you can perform the file operations there.

Also, the BartPE boot cdrom would probably allow you to copy.

the system hive is the hardware portion of the registry, so the pc was definitely not happy with that keyboard, i would look into re-replacing it.

alternately you can probably perform a non-destructive reinstall - but only once you get the hardware errors sorted out - in other words, get rid of that keyboard (unless theres a connector problem on the mainboard).

See if following the procedure works.

F8 into the Safe Mode Screen and try the "Last known good configuration" option.

Installing this current Keyboard is obviously a problem can you try yet another one?

This is a similar article with a bit more information.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Ok, I used a Bart PE boot disc, but I couldn't copy files using that either. I ran chkdsk and it turns out I had some major hard drive corruption.

After it fixed everything I could then copy files, and I restored to the "restore" registry backup. However, I don't have any recent system restore points, so I'm stuck with this old registry version.

Is this cause hopeless, and should I replace the old files and do a repair installation instead?

A repair installation may be of little use as it will probably just copy across the many settings from the Registry that you are currently using, the purpose being that a repair install saves your files and programs.

If you have copied the Registry files as outlined in those earlier links you will have a Registry that is consistent with your last System State backup, or if you have never done a full backup, then you will have a Registry consistent with the first time you installed Windows.

A lot of your programs will fail to load and you will have to install them again. Records of your Windows Updates will be missing and whereas the files may be updated the Registry will not know this, as a result the Updates will probably need to be replaced. You will probably have to Activate Windows again too.

In these situations it is probably safer to start again with a clean install and format and learn from the nasty experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back