Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted package - where to get the base fileset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbowen

MIS
Jan 29, 2013
US
I'm attempting to update an AIX 6.1 system and lppchk shows the following, which prevents the update:

# lppchk -v
lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring
the system to a consistent state:

bos.rte.edit 6.1.6.1 (usr: COMMITTED, root: not installed)

My understanding is that I need to force install the base fileset for this package, however I can't seem to find it on any media I can locate through my software maintenance portal @ IBM. AIX_6.1_Base_Operating_System_6100-06-10_DVD_1_of_2_-_P91242__012013.iso does not seem to have it, do I somehow need to come up with a TL0 installation cd, or am I missing something?

The machine is currently @ 6100-06-04-1112 and I am attempting to update to 6100-06-10-1241

However my understanding is that in order to force installation over top of the 'corrupted' bos.rte.edit 6.1.6.1, I need to use the 'baselevel' package and then update forward from that again. From what i can tell 'baselevel' would be 6.1.0.0, however I don't seem to be able to find that package on any media downloads or anywhere on IBM's site.

When I try to re-apply 6.1.6.1 from the 6100-06-04 patchset, installp says it's already installed and then complains about builddate verification, when I try to 'force' the installation, installp says there are no baselevel filesets found:

# pwd; installp -ad ./ bos.rte.edit
/IBMCD/6100-06-04
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Pre-installation Verification...
Verifying selections...done
Verifying requisites...Verifying requisites...done
Results...

WARNINGS
--------
Problems described in this section are not likely to be the source of any
immediate or serious failures, but further actions may be necessary or
desired.

Already Installed
-----------------
The number of selected filesets that are either already installed
or effectively installed through superseding filesets is 1. See
the summaries at the end of this installation for details.

NOTE: Base level filesets may be reinstalled using the "Force"
option (-F flag), or they may be removed, using the deinstall or
"Remove Software Products" facility (-u flag), and then reinstalled.

<< End of Warning Section >>

SUCCESSES
---------
Filesets listed in this section passed pre-installation verification
and will be installed.

Selected Filesets
-----------------
bos.rte.edit 6.1.6.1 # Editors

<< End of Success Section >>

BUILDDATE Verification ...
Verifying build dates...
installp: The build date requisite check failed for fileset bos.rte.edit.
Installed fileset build date is 0939. Selected fileset does not have a build date, but one is required.
Installed fileset build date is 1034. Selected fileset does not have a build date, but one is required.
Installed fileset build date is 1112. Selected fileset does not have a build date, but one is required.
installp: Installation failed due to BUILDDATE requisite failure.
# installp -ad ./ -F bos.rte.edit
Pre-installation Verification...
Verifying selections...

Pre-installation Failure/Warning Summary
----------------------------------------
installp: After completion of pre-installation processing, there were
no installable base level filesets found on the installation media.
Note that use of the force install option (-F flag) will cause
installp to consider only base level filesets (fileset updates will
be ignored). No installation has occurred.
#

Thanks for your help.

Ok,

If you are on Tl06 SP04, then you should not have any problem jumping to TL10,
when you download the binaries, check on the box which says include prerequisites, this should be good.

If you have a file set with "S" it should be fine, you need the base if you are jumping from TL06 to TL07 SPXX.

How are you doing the upgrade? are you doing 'alternate disk clone'? If yes try the below
1. Downloaded the binaries from IBM for AIX6.1TL06SP10 on server (NIM).
2. Export the file system to your desired machine
3. Make sure you have a free disk for alt_disk_copy and upgrade the OS on that disk.
Ex: smitty --> software installation and maintenance --> Alternate disk installation --> clone the rootvg to an alternate disk. ( now select the empty disk, bundle to install "update_all", directory and devices with images = "<your Filesystem or directory where you have binaries for TL10>", accept license aggrement =yes) hit enter.

It will create an alt_disk and upgrade it and the bootlist is set to the alt_disk.

The update process has run fine on other lpars with the same configuration, the problem here is the corrupt bos.rte.edit package and how to fix it, as this prevents the update process from running on this particular host.

Specifically, it looks like I need to reinstall the baselevel package and bring it forward from there, however I can't find that package anywhere and IBM support has not been forthcoming with how to obtain it. The media ordering line I was given never picks up and the email address on their hold announcement bounces.

I checked my 6100-04-01 it has bos.rte.edit_6.1.4.0.bff and inutoc show no pre-req, so I think that is it.

Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back