Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted ODBC - Cannot view System DSN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakktoose

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2004
US
I have full Admin rights
OS = XP Pro SP 1
All Windows Updates are installed
MDAC 2.8 is installed
IBM Client Access installed
SQL 2000 Tools installed
Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0 installed

I can pull up an initial list of System DSN's in ODBC Data Source Administrator. However, when I add a new System DSN (SQL Server, Microsoft Access, or any other driver) it does not appear in the System DSN list. When I use "Modify" and rename a DSN in the list, it disappears from the list. A newly created DSN and a "Modified" DSN information is correctly populated into the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI), but the ODBC Data Source Administrator list never shows any changes. Applications requiring a DSN do not see the information listed in the registry and will not run.

Information in the "Driver" and "About" tabs (such as Core Component File versions and dates) updates properly when I rollback MDAC, plus I can add/modify User DSN's with no problem.

I stopped necessary services using the ListDLLs Utility, uninstalled all applications including Sybase, and cleaned the registry of unneeded keys. Then I reinstalled (repaired) Windows and ran MDAC 2.8. This did not fix it.

I have reinstalled MDAC 2.7 then 2.8, SQL 2000 Tools, Sybase Client, and I ran a full repair of Windows XP with Win updates. This did not fix it.

The registry and the ODBC Data Source Administrator show different information, and it seems no matter what I do, it will not update.

Any ideas?

I've seen others list problems w/ 2.8. Try searching the other forums (VB, etc) for mdac and see if the same issues show up.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back