Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted Hard Disk, Help me or I loose My Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

vova

Vendor
Nov 2, 1998
QA
Hello everbody,<br>I started my machine this morning and it won't see the hard disk, took the hard disk put it as slave on other machine and still won't see it, f disk also can not see there is a physical drive, I suspect that the disk surface is scrached, I have very important data on it and I have no backup.<br>Is ther a way to recover the data out of the hard disk ?<br><br>Please help me<br>Thanks,<br>Randy<br><A HREF="mailto:randyat@qatar.net.qa">randyat@qatar.net.qa</A>

Well you could use informatoin recovery (which cost about 5K just to have them do it for you) or you could put it back in the original machine the way it was set, and set the bios to see it as Auto-detect (might try chaning the type to LBA instead of auto) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

you might try copying the hard drive. using a mirroring system. go to tigerdirect.com and try to find it there they may not have on there website but they do sell them for about 2Gs.

problem is he cant read it to start with, normally i dont like to say this, but next time remeber to regularly backup(my office does incremental backups every day, and full backups at the end of each week) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I would use this option as a last resort but I would take out the hard drive and shake it in a clockwise direction you might get lucky and advance the heads if this is your hard drive problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;This worked for me I had a seagate 1.2 GB later found out there was a bad batch of them.&nbsp;&nbsp;As soon as I was able to boot a made a successful backup good thing because 2 days later the hard drive went and that was it.

Before you start shaking your HD, answer this: is there evidence that the drive is spinning-up. Does it make a grinding or loud clicking noise?<br>If your drive doesn't have a serious physical problem you may be able to use Power Quest's Lost and Found program. Several months ago a user brought me a drive that had suffered a head-crash. The drive would spin but the first 16,000 sectors had been destroyed (including the root directory structure). Thirty hours later, Lost and Found had recovered almost everything (including some files that had been deleted more than a year previously).<br><br>We can't discuss pricing here but, believe me, the cost is insignificant when compared to the alternatives. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

you mean the couple thousand dollar alternative to have it sent into a data recovery center? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

That was one of the considerations, Karl. The main consideration was in the subject of the post, &quot;Help me or I lose my job!&quot;<br>Lost and Found is a cheap (but effective) alternative to professional data recovery. I was concerned with the urgency of the subject line. If you want it done today, there isn't time to ship a hard drive and wait for the contents to come back.<br>Using a recovery service may end up as vova's only option but I'm &quot;guessing&quot; there might be faster and more economical options available. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back