Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted Excel 97 Workbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonBrown

Technical User
Mar 31, 2000
US
I have been writing a reasonably complex Excel VBA routine to produce a report on one worksheet from particular data found on some of the other worksheets in the workbook. Two weeks ago, after about 10 hours of work, I almost had it completed, but I decided to put it away for the Xmas vacation. Then today, when I got back, I found that all but the first saved version was corrupted and wouldn't load into Excel 97!

When I try loading it in Excel 97 or 2000, with macros enable or disabled, Excel locks up with a white spreadsheet. The strange thing is that I can view the data in Quick View and even import the data into Word! The problem is I need the VBA code, not the data! Is there anyway I can extract some of the worksheets or the VBA code without requiring that the workbook first be opened in Excel?

Now for my rant! I did save my work and each save to a different file, so I would have a "bread-crumb" trail, just in case! I didn't exited Excel during the last 10 hour effort, so I had no idea that Excel had screwed up my work. I find it strange that during that whole time that Excel never once had a problem with my in-memory workbook version. However all those versions, save the first, are all worthless! Sense Excel locks up when I load any of these versions, I believe that if I had tried to load any of them to test the written file, Excel would have locked up and my work would be lost in spite of my best efforts. I don't think this is my fault. Instead, I blame Microsoft for shoddy file saves. This isn't the first time that this has happened, but the last time this happened was many version ago.

I just had to get that said. I know that it's amazing that Excel works as well as it does, but you'd think that they would at least save your file correctly! If you can't trust the save, why put the data in in the first place. Yes, it doesn't fail every time, but it shouldn't fail and not somehow check the validity of the save!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back