Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted A.D - Event 474. No SystemState backup! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexandrosG

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
GR
Hi!

My mail-Server (Win2003) is also the only D.C of its domain and runs Exchange Server 2003. It runs as a web server with IIS and an FTP server,too. (Yes, its a all-in-one server!) Recently we had a problem with one of the imaged (RAID-1) hard disks of the operating system. This created a problem to the Active Directory database (maybe because we delayed the removal of the failed disk) and now i get a lot of these messages (about 300 per day):

Event ID: 474
Source: NTDS ISAM
Category: Database Page Cache

NTDS (512) NTDSA: The database page read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit" at offset 31858688 (0x0000000001e62000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch. The expected checksum was 1146241874 (0x44524352) and the actual checksum was 2515773229 (0x95f3a72d). The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06). If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

I check the integrity of Active Directory through ntdsutils
- ntdsutils files integrity
- ntdsutils "semantic database analysis" "verbose on" go
and the result of both commands states that active directory is corrupted. NT Backup cannot backup successfuly the SystemState since then and only a six-month old backup of SystemState is available (ok, don't ask why).

What i want (ok, don't laugh) is to fix the Active Directory (even manualy) without creating a problem to the other applications, especially Exchange Server. Is there any other way than reinstalling all from the scratch (Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, create user accounts,...)???

* I want to notice here that all 474 events are refered to the same numbers. It seems like there is problem only with a certain point of the ntds database. That make me thing that a could erase and recreate step-by-step parts of the A.D (user accounts,the domain, the site) hoping that i would fix the corrupted part of the A.D. Does it seems reasonable?

Thanks, in advance for any opinion!

Of course! Sorry that i forgot to mention it!
I have tried both repair and recover option with ntdsutil.
Without much luck i could say! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back