Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt vxd files

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgestrato

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
My HP 2755 has a strange problem: when I boot it hangs at the HP splash screen before anything even loads. If I unplug it and replug it in (no reset button), it will boot normally and run fine. It will also shut down normally, but then will not boot up again as above. If I boot in Safe Mode, exit and shutdown, it *will* boot normally. Using selective startup, I can load the registry and smrtdrv without any problem. But if I load any of the vxd files ("choose yes/no to load all window drivers), the problem recurs. Should I just re-write the vxd files, or bite the bullet and reinstall ME? Any help greatly appreciated...paul

I would tell you to do a select boot. Go to msconfig from
start button, run, in the box type msconfig. look at the static VXD tab and see what is being started. I have had this problem with my McAfee virus software. Make sure you do not have two (VS) VXD's starting or it can not find one of the VXD's. It sounds like a conflict. If that does not work try a select boot unchecking system.ini and reboot, then try each item under the general tab until it will boot without an error.
Now for questions have you load new software, updates,
a new browser, firewall, virus software new hardware?
Have you tried to restore the system with the restore
command?
Post back and let me know how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back