Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corrupt user profile question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesth

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
US
When a specific user would login to their win2000 pro workstation, they would completely 'freeze' after working (in msoutlook, msword, etc) after 5 or 10 minutes. If anyone else logged in, all would work correctly with no freezing at all.
We took all of his necessary desktop shortcuts, favorites, etc from his Documents and Settings\user dir, deleted their user profile, had him log back in (creating a new user profile)put everything back in its appropriate location, and, viola, the user now has no problems with the workstation.
My question is why did this work? What exactly gets corrupted in a user's profile that would cause them, and them only, to have problems?

any help/answers would be appreciated
ernest

It worked because the profile was currupted. A currupted profile can be caused by many things. I have seen this issue with an XP box currupting my coworkers account. They were trying to use Office also, and we just blew away the profile and created a new one. Like your situation, it worked fine also. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back