Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Registry Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

captnops

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2003
Windows XP Pro experienced a corrupted registry (system) and user could not boot into windows. User then tried to install a second copy of windows into a different folder (have to love the internet) other than c:\windows.

I followed this MS KB article:
and was able to replace the corrupted files with previous system restore files from the hard disk.

Upon getting into windows, some programs will not run and when I go into system restore to restore to an earlier date, nothing shows up in the calendar. I have seen earlier restore points in the folder, so I know they are there.

All help greatly appreciated.

Are the programs which fail to run, applications, which were installed later than the date of the restore point you used with the recovery program?

Are the missing applications failing because of faulty shortcut problems, are they applications which offer a repair facility when you click on them in in Add or Remove, or can they be reinstalled?

It is possible that with all the restoring and installing Windows those previous System Restore points have become tainted and rejected as viable by Windows.

Sometimes System Restore may work from Safe Mode if it fails in Normal Mode, but in those cases you usually can see some restore points.

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for the info. I have found an app called WinSafe that allows me to get the previous restore points. I am testing now.

With the Windows repair install, will that torch the registry as well? I am concerned about the applications on the system as I am told that some no longer have the install media. Will the apps still run or will they need to be reinstalled?

Thanks for the help.

The repair install is designed to save your data, and to save your installed programs. You will return Windows to the date and time of the repair media, so you will lose all later Windows Updates and Service Packs. In 99.9% of cases this works well, but as with everything there is the risk of things going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back