Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt or Missing File

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFixes

Vendor
Dec 21, 2004
US
Hello,

As a disclaimer, let me start by saying I know less than nothing about Goldmine. My office is using it and I am the "go-to" guy when things go wrong.

One of the users recently had some trouble getting an error message while sorting the NAME field, and I researched the problem and it was suggested that I verify & pack the database, which I did. During that process, I got an error message saying that one of the files was corrupt or missing. This scared the hell out of me, so I tried packing and verifying a few more times, but continued to get the same response. I believe the file it is referring to is ConTHIS file (Contact History). The program is currently up and running but I have reports coming to me that certain notes that are being entered are not being logged, so I am certain it has something to do with the bad file.

Can anyone please give me some ideas, suggestions or guidance to help fix the problem while not losing any vaulable information. We are 6 months into this program with 6 very active users.

Thank you in advance.

JoeFixes

I checked the error message and it says:

common\conTlog index file is missing or corrupt

have you tried just compacting the CONTLOG file only, go to maintain databases, then select individual files then the option you need is contact set Tlogs.

What version of goldmine are you using dbase or sql??? I am assuming dbase, so there may be another way.

Within dbase, what you have is when a file is corrupt or goldmine believes it to be missing is that it creates a new file when the maintaining of the database fails....

Sometimes you need to delete these files that goldmine has created to get the process to work. Obviously you would need to copy these files/back themup before you do this, just in case!!!!

If you require any more help then let me know.

Back everything up first.

If you don't have any remote users, try just deleting the two files named CONTTLOG and running GoldMine.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think I am in a better position today than I was a few days ago. I have spent time researching and learning about the program.

By the way i am running version 6.7, I don't know if that means I am using dbase or sql.

At any rate I learned how to enter the maintenance mode upon signing in (holding down CTRL while clicking okay). This allow me to compact and verify the database before actually opening it. Previously I was signing on, actually accessing the database and then entering the maintenance mode to compact and verify. I believe the reason I was getting the error message was because although everyone else was out of the program I was still signed in and accessing the database from the same workstation that I was running the maintenance from. I am assuming this is what caused the error message. Can someone confirm that?

So once I entered the maintenance mode before actually opening the database, I was able to compact, compile and verify without getting any error messages.

So one last thing, so i can avoid any problems in the future what types of maintenance procedures should I perform regularly to keep everything running smoothly. As I mentioned above I have 6 users that are logging activity quite frequently, so the program is getting quite a bit of use.

Any and all sugestions are much appreciated.

Sounds like you're using dBase.

I'd suggest buying this book (PDF) and reading up. :)

You may also want to forge a relationship with a GoldMine consultant on whom you can lean when you have problems that need to be solved ASAP. Sort of 2nd-level support, if you will.

I am a GoldMine consultant, as is my buddy DJ Hunt, the author of the above mentioned book. There are, of course, many others.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back