Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

corrupt MFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidmonkey

Technical User
Sep 25, 2004
SE
hi there,

i'm visiting my father and his computer is constantly getting the following message...
"the file or directory c:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chkdsk utility"

his PC is Win XP-SP1-SP2

after running the chkdsk, the message still appears and once logged in, the message appears

everytime you click on something, like getting up internet explorer or trying to save

something and so on.
i've checked the net now for a few hours but could not find a similar situtaion/good

solution.

can you help me please?
thanks in advance!!!

chkdsk /r from Recovery Console should be able to sort this. If not, copy the data off and reformat the drive.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

If ChkDsk from the Recovery Console fails to fix it, you can try some of these guesses prior to the Format.

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back