Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt JPEG File

Status
Not open for further replies.

djabell

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
GB
Okay not sure which forum to post this, so I thought I'd try this one...I've just recovered some files from a damaged CDROM and, for the most part, this has been successful. However, one of the files (a jpeg) file is corrupt. Normally, I'd just accept that it's damaged and delete it. However, in thumbnail view within Windows, the whole image is displayed, but when I double-click on the file, only about a third of the image is displayed. Presumably Windows has been able to read the whole of the file, otherwise how can it show the full thumbnail? Anyone got any ideas for recovering this file?

It's in the way JPEG files are read by the client. In thumbnail view, you lose a lot of the image so it may be skipping over the corrupted part of the file..

Where as the JPEG client you are using obviously can not just skip over a part of the file..

What client are you using?

Maybe try something like Irfan View at
Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

This program reports it can repair JPGs, but only when embedded in a word doc.

1) dont know if word would accept the file if its already corrupted

2) the software is probably very expensive.

Maybe you can try a file type converter that doesnt view the file before converting - i.e. convert it from jpg to bmp - and see if the conversion process strips out the corruption.

The thumbnail image is actually embedded in the start of a jpeg file at the start. So if the thumbnail is ok it just means you read the start of the file successfully!

In Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View, have you unchecked "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"?

This disables automatic storage of folder thumbnails in a cache file. When you store thumbnail images in a cache file, Windows can reuse them instead of creating new ones every time you open a folder. If you disable this automatic storage function, folders that contain thumbnails might take longer to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back