Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Delphi 5 - Why ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I'm not sure if I'm the only one to experience this problem. I've seen it on about three machines in the last year (operating systems of Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000). One day Delphi 5 will be operating successfully and the next, when I go to start it up, it gives me troubles. When I load Delphi 5 I get the form (Form1) and that is it - no menu, no object inspector. I can toggle to the code window by using F12 but the development environment is unusable as a whole. It is not the case that the menu + object inspector and offset off the page - have checked that as a first call. The only way I have seen to fix this is to uninstall Delphi and re-install from fresh. This has been seen a number of times. Has anyone else seen this or know a way in which I can prevent this from happening in the future ?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

This problem can be avoided
1. Don't use NT or 2000 :) <- just kidding
2. You should use Delphi in the login that you installed Delphi. If you don't you will not have many options and there won't be any components. You will have to manually add them. This also leads to another problem when you try to compile an application. The compiler will start spitting all sorts of errors, the most common one being: System.pas/dcu/obj not found. If you solve this then you are bound to get another error, ffmt.obj not found and the list goes on....
So how do you solve it?
Play around with the environment settings i.e. provide the right path in the search path. This is kind of painful in the beginning, so good luck.
if you still have problems, just ask :)

I'm using the same log-in account that Delphi was installed under. We've had that issue before - installing it under one profile (Administrator) and trying to run it under a standard user account preventing us from having no VCL components to select - making application development impossible.
Any other suggestions given the fact that we are using the same log-in account as used for the initial installation ?
Thanks again in advance.
Steve

Hi there,
I've experienced a similar problem a couple of months ago - My computer crashed while Delphi was about to compile and test run a project, which resulted in missing IDE stuff upon restarting Windows and running Delphi again. The main program button menu (component palette, options, etc.) and the object inspector (not sure if this applied to the visual form designer) were gone, making it extremely cumbersome to program anything at all. How I fixed this, I think, was to find a Delphi system file that could somehow dictate the appearance of those missing windows. I found that the file named DELPHI32.DSK located in the Delphi5\Bin\ directory could be used for this. In this file you'll find several switches that may be used for enabling/disabling individual windows. This .DSK file is a simple INI-file so it should be fairly easy to edit. ...And by the way, I use Windows 98, not 2000 or NT. ...Upon restarting Delphi5 after having made changes to the DELPHI32.DSK file, your Delphi windows should be working fine again.

I hope this helps and lets you use Delphi without reinstalling everything over and over :)

-Steinar Skaalvik ~ Steinar Technologies

Hi Steven,

I've got some experience with Network problems (I'm
officially a system operator). Tell your systems operator
to make sure that ALL ACCOUNTS on the machine use
the same AUTOEXEC.BAT. If that doesn't solve it, try
contacting Borland/Inprise about it.

BobbaFet Everybody has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at cwcon@programmer.net

The Delphi32.dsk file is the exact file that you need to delete to fix this problem. It must store the IDE window settings and deleting it will cause the IDE window to appear again and will recreate the Delphi32.dsk file.

It is in the \Delphi5\Bin directory

Brett Parkhurst
brettparkhurst@uswest.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back