Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Database? How to repair? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
For 2 days in a row oen of our backups failed saying "could not find any media that can be used for this job" despite the fact that the job says use any media and there was a tape in the drive. I tried everything from using different tapes to formatting the tapes etc. I eventually got it to work by connecting to arcserve on that server from another server and runing the job from there. So from what I've looked up so far on the net, this probably indicates that the database is corrupt. So how do I go about re-initializing it or repairing it?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

To Initialize the Database

1) Open Server Admin
2) Client on the Tab database engine
3) Click on Operation and select Initialize
4) Select all Database and initialize it

-- Papushka --

Hello,
I have Arcserve 11.5 running on a Win2003 Server. The problem I'm having is that all our media pools are empty therefore my nightly buckups are failing due to non existing tapes on the save or scracth set. All the tapes were there a couple of days ago and working fine.
Any ideas ?

Vlady S.

Vlady - these may help, though you have to log in to CA support connect I think to get to them.

This is a good starting point if ever you need anything for Brightstor out of the CA website.

Hi ,
please try to delete the media by quick erase plus.This will show all as blank media without any header / ID information.BAB will format media and assign new media ID.
Gatom

Thank you for the respnse,

I tried 2 different approhes yesterday, First I formatted a brand new tape, it gave a new Serial number and a new ID,then tried to assign the recently ceated tape by right clicking on the save set of my media pool and I do not see the new tape at all.
My second approach was pretty much the same concept as the first approach but the only difference was that this time I reformatted and relabeled an existing tape. The same result.

Ok, there is another step to solve this.
1. Maybe the DB is corruppt.
2. The tapeengine lost their information.
I do not know, what build level BAB has got.
You can investigate this by clicking BAB manager/help about.
Now you can upgrade to the newest build.
In the newest servicepack are some testfixes integrated which faced this problem.

Run Cstop.bat in BAB/Arcserve root(you will find cstop as well.
And after restart with cstart.
This will recycle all services.
If this won't work.
To solve the DB problem(if this is one of this)
Run cstop again, rename DATABASE folder and restart BAB services.Run setup BAB from Intel NT folder.You will find modify/repair and remove.Select repair.
This will generate a brand new DB.
If the problem occurs, recycle the tapeengine.
Please save all jobs befor you do any actions.
Open registry/hklm/software/computer associates/base remove or export Tapeenginekey.
Now run BAB deviceconfig.this will create a new tapengine.
It could be that there were changings in former tiome.Maybe they changed hardware.The tapeengine always saved the information.After successful deviceconfig rerun tapeengine.
greetings from Gatom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back