Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Cardfile Display on Windows10 or11

Status
Not open for further replies.

james33

Technical User
Dec 23, 2000
IE
Hi All

Just had a query from someone who had an issue with his display and in my trawling through the posts I discovered something I wrote back in April 2004!!!

Here is the query:

I have been using Sidekick 98 since 1995. With my new laptop, Thinkpad X1 carbon, the memo subject fields are not displaying at all, but the contents of the memo field are displayed. The same happens for contacts

I have not had issues with another laptop running Windows 11 or 10. This is the only one, Thinkpad X1. I have tried the compatibility mode and no progress. I was thinking maybe Sidekick 99 might work. If you have the software please share the link where I can download it. I have also updated all the display drivers.

You can also see the text on the tabs is displaying incorrectly, vertically.

Deepak_py0qn8.jpg

Dear All,
Funnily enough I may have a solution and all the time it was here in the FAQ pages so it makes me feel a bit silly (look at my signature)!!
Question 6 on FAQ page1 ( FAQ807-2966 )says the following and it will probably work with Sidekick99 too:

Q: The information in Cardfile and Write extends across the screen and covers the Sidekick 98 icons on the right side of the screen. The Sidekick 98 screen appears normal when EarthTime, Calendar, Expense, or Activities is selected. Why is this happening?
A: Most likely, there is a problem with the SKLAYOUT.SKW file in the Program Files\Sidekick 98\data folder. To resolve, exit SIDEKICK 98, using Windows Explorer, rename SKLAYOUT.SKW to SKLAYOUT.OLD, then restart SIDEKICK 98. A new default SKLAYOUT.SKW will then be created.
Try this out, as I don't have the problem I don't know if it will work.
You can always revert back to the old SKLayout if it really doesn't help...

It suddenly occured to me that it might also be due to the location the of the Cardfile is on which could be in a folder on a remote server...
Or the last part of the address
image_2023-09-13_201129457_flgvvh.png

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back