Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt backup archive on Windows 7 (Solution) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
[bigsmile]

As have many others I've been using my windows systems for literally decades and rely on them for business, personal and pleasure. And I have been diligent with my backups as I know what happens when things go awry with backup.
I had been using the standard Windows supplied backup/restore utilities and recently, however, I needed to restore my system. No problem as I have regular image backup. However, when I started my windows recovery and pointed it to the most recent windows backup archive, windows coughed and chocked and claimed my backup was corrupt and unusable. Oh My. But wait, I have another well know utility that has helped in the past. That was Acronis' utility. But it too complained that the backup archive was corrupt. So I began the search for something else in the hopes that it might be able to salvage some of my backup image. That's when I came across the "free" utility called AOMEI Backupper from AOMEI. Once installed and started I pointed this program to my "corrupt" backup archive and without hesitation it read the data and presented me with a menu of what I would like it to do. I selected verify first to assure the archive was correct. It completed successfully without errors. Then I had it completely restore the system from the archive and it too completed successfully without error. Now, with a very big smile on my face I am recommending this utility as a worthwhile tool in a developers arsenal.
Try it, you'll like it. Oh, and it also allows the opening and mounting of an archive to view and/or extract as little as one file, multiple or the entire enchilada.
And no, I do not work for this company. I'm just a very surprised and happy user.
Thanks for reading. :)

The Windows Backup utility simply creates a series of zip archives of the files being backed up. Your problem description and solution suggests there was a fault with either the Windows Backup utility itself or one of the zip archives, preventing it from restoring from the backup. You could use any zip archiving tool instead (e.g. WinZip) to restore the files, though doing so would be laborious, and any damaged zip archives in the backup probably could be recovered using a tool such as the free DiskInternals ZIP Repair.

Now that you've recovered the files, do make a new backup from scratch - so to not perpetuate the problem.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks for sharing! By the way, might I suggest this thread be marked as a "tip" instead of a question?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back