Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correspondence to Titled Individuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo1973

MIS
Aug 4, 2004
GB
When addressing correspondence to a "Sir" i.e. Sir Cliff Richard would you address them as Sir Cliff (sounds to familiar) or Sir Richard (doesn’t scan correctly to me)
What is the correct format?
I have asked & looked around and have received different opinions.
Over to the experts.

Regards, Phil.
C.E.O. Bodgeit, Leggit & Scarper. International.
"Stuffing things up completely since 1973"

If my memory serves me well, the title of Sir belongs to the given name of an individual. The proper title for a knight's surname would be Master.

As an example, having been Knighted, Elton John would now properly be addressed as:

Sir Elton John (Formal)
Sir Elton (Informal)
Master John (Formal)

But he should NEVER be addressed as Sir John.

I hope this helps...

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

One book of etiquet gives a guide to writing to dukes, ending with the advice never to address them as Dear Sid. Even before computers, there was great scope for error to invade pomposity.

If writing to Sir Paul Macartney, you could always address him as Your Grace, The Mull of Kintyre. More chance of getting an answer that way.

PS, is gizmo1973's firm in any way associated with Sue. Grabbit and Runn

------------------------------
A view [tiger] from the UK

hey GwydionM, I had a similar thought about gizmo1973's firm. They sound like verbs.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Like Dewey, Cheetham and Howe.

John

You try to concentrate while staring down the barrel of a loaded Thnikaman.
-Strong Bad

To get the best answers fast, please read faq181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back