Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correlated subqueries and ANSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny86

Technical User
Nov 18, 2010
DE
Hello,

can anyone tell me where it's mentioned in the standard document (part 2) that correlated subqueries are supported and where I am able to use them? I found out that ANSI mentions Feature E061-13 "Correlated subqueries" but I didn't found where it's specified, neither in the rules for subqueries nor in the rules for query expressions.

Thanks for replies!

Ok, I found following text passages, but I'm not sure if I interpreted them right..

- "If a <column reference> CR is contained in a <table expression> TE and the qualifying scope of CR contains
TE, then CR is an outer reference to the qualifying table of CR."

- "Let TRL be the ordering of <table reference list>. No element TRi in TRL shall contain an outer reference
to an element TRj, where i ? j."

I guess the first one answers my question that there is a possibility of a correlated subquery and the second says, that such an outer reference is not allowed in the from-clause, am I right? Unfortunately it's not so easy for me to understand that special wording completely, because english isn't my mother tongue. That's why I asked ^^

The SQL standard specification is a pain to read!

ISO/IEC 9075-2:2008(E), page 1262 (Annex F):

45 E061-13 Correlated subqueries
— Subclause 8.1, “<predicate>”: When a <correlation
name> can be used in a <table subquery>
as a correlated reference to a column in the outer
query

Thanks JarlH and I agree with you but unfortunately I have to deal with the Standard.
I found what you stated, too. But I thought that there has to be explained in more detail, what it's meant about "correlated subqueries". For my understanding what you mentioned means that a correlated subquery is just able together with an predicate (=,>,<, IN, EXISTS etc.). But is that correct (possiblity of correlated subqueries in SELECT)? How would you interpret the two mentioned text passages in the second post?

Thanks for reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back