Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

*CORRECTED* schedule for next revision of ISO (ANSI) COBOL Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMK

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
To: comp.lang.cobol, Tek-Tips, IBM-MAIN and elsewhere

There was a typo (or more than 1) in the last version of the "revision schedule" that I pointed COBOL-interested people to a while ago. There is now a revised (corrected) version at:

It is my understanding that J4 (the "developers" of this revision) think that they ARE ON SCHEDULE for a 2008 approval and publication of this revision to the 2002 ISO Standard.

Needless to say, to the best of my knowledge, there is no current "best guess" on when ANY vendor will actually provide a "fully conforming" ISO 2002 COBOL compiler ... but you never know <G>.

If you are interested in the enhancements (and especially if you have any comments) on the new and changed features of this c.2008 Standard, please make certain that you communicate them to your "national standards body" AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. For comment to the US body (that does take comments from those outside the US), please email

Don.Schricker <at> microfocus.com

(IMHO it is "useless" to just tell them that you don't believe in/like the current Standards process ... but if you want to, they do take AND PROCESS every input document that they receive.)

If you are interested in seeing the FULL ISO 2002 Standard (including its OO definition; its solutions for internationalization; common exception handling; portable arithmetic, etc) available on your platform and/or from your "vendor of choicer"

PLEASE contact your "vendor of choice" and provide them with the reasons (business case) for implementing these features - sooner than later.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Bill Klein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back