Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct time/date on BCM50 help - Trunk? NTP? Manual? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCM50

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
US
Hello-

Nothing works. My BCM50 is drifting 5 minutes fast since day one. I change settings in Element Mgr, but the settings do "not stick". I'd be happy with manual settings, but that does not work. I have read the manual. What am I doing wrong? My vendor thinks my PRI telco provider is sending the wrong time via trunk caller id - and there is nothing I can do about it?

My telco vendor does not reply on this question. I'd rather set it manual and track it myself.

Joe

Ace - In a BCM 50 you can have the time on the system set by the telco time which is delivered in the caller ID. This will be true in BCM 4.0 as well.

I'd set it to NTP - make sure NTP is allowed outbound from your firewall first, then enter the name or IP of an external NTP server. I did see a problem once where the time setting wouldn't take - a cold start of the system took care of that. I'd also make sure you have all applicable patches loaded in your system before going too much further.

Thanks Biv343 - do you have the address of a external NTP server I can use? I have googled for such - but can't find a clear answer. NTP servers seem complex. As for patches, I am current as of Jan 2006.

To recap, manual time setting does NOT stick. Trunk setting is 5 minutes fast (I think telco's fault) and NTP confuses me. My telco PRI vendor ignores my service inquries and requests, my Nortel vendor says "set it to trunk". Tek-Tips, please rescue me.

Joe

BCM50 Time Will Not Change

There is an interaction between the IP system and time/date change.
To resolve the problem:

1.[tab]Launch Element Manager
2.[tab]Administration->General->Service Manager
[tab][tab]Check the status of 'tmwservice' service. This is likely stopped, resulting in inability to change the date and time.
[tab][tab][tab]Go to Configuration->System->IP Subsystem
[tab][tab][tab]Review the Default Gateway setting.
[tab][tab][tab]Correct the Default Gateway to match the required Default Gateway.
[tab][tab][tab]If the Default Gateway is not populated, or is a dummy/factory default, which does not tie in with the IP address of the BCM, then please correct this.
[tab][tab][tab][tab]For example, before the change:
[tab][tab][tab][tab]IP 10.10.10.51
[tab][tab][tab][tab]mask 255.255.252.0
[tab][tab][tab][tab]Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
[tab]Depending on the BCM type, change the default gateway. If you have a BCM50e, the correct default gateway is that of the on-board router.
[tab][tab][tab][tab]For example, after the change:
[tab][tab][tab][tab]Default Gateway 10.10.10.52
[tab]However with a BCM50, if no physical Default Gateway exists, modify default gateway so it has a dummy default gateway that reflects the correct IP subnet.
[tab]For example, after the change:
[tab][tab][tab][tab]Default Gateway 10.10.10.1
[tab]You will lose connection as you make the change. Reconnect.
3.[tab]Launch Element Manager
[tab][tab]Administration->General->Service Manager
[tab][tab]Check the status of 'tmwservice' service
[tab][tab]This is likely still stopped.
[tab][tab]Start the service
[tab][tab]Check it is now 'Running
[tab][tab]Modify the time/date as required.
[tab][tab]This should now modify okay.

I forgot about the doc that Jason just posted. But, I haven't run into this problem in quite some time.

For NTP, I usually use clock.redhat.com. (66.187.224.4)

Hello JasonPM!

That TIMESERVER setting work - thanks. The default gateway was never set right to match my LAN from the original install. I was able to set the time in MANUAL mode.

Now if I want automatic NTP or TRUNK time setting - how would I go about that please? I lost the original default NTP settings in Element Mgr months ago.

Thanks,

Joe
Seattle, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back