Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct method for replacing a LPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gosy

Technical User
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Got to replace an LPU because of a memory fault on a processor. Please can you advise on correct procedure for replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
it's from Alex for BC9:

Configuration of hardware, replacement

6.4 Replacement of LPU-boards
General
When an LPU-board in a LIM with a duplicated control system is to be replaced, see Operational Directions 'DUPLICATED CONTROL SYSTEM, DC'.
Do not move any synchronization. If a data reload should happen it would lead to a faulty ordering of the group switch.
Replacement of LPU-board requires a LIM reload.

Prerequisites
Replacement of LPU-board should take place during low traffic as the entire LIM is to be blocked and removed from traffic.
If the LIM where the LPU-board is to be replaced contains non-duplicated common functions then only internal traffic within each LIM can take place during the replacement.
Be sure that there is a valid system dump, since the LIM has to be reloaded.

Execution
Refer to flowchart in Alex, it's graphical.

Replace LPU only when customer agree what time it will be.
If system doesn't work just replace it. Just pull out LPU and replace it with new LPU. No fancy steps. Don't power off the system please. If you do this you may destroy the power board itself or other boards if you are really unlucky.

This is also a good practice to initiate an I/O port in another LIM if you are changing the LPU on your I/O lim just in case.

Experience it, there is no substitute.

Jazaya, What would be the benefit of another i/o board in another LIM?
Cheers

for this case: no benefits at all. Reason: If you replace LPU in IO-Lim, then whole system is not adminstrable for this time. If you replace LPU in a NON-IO-LIM, then you have alway access to the system via LIM1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back