Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct format for 2000/01/01 13:12:45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2001
US
Am trying to come up with correct format for date to show
yyyymmddhhmmss. Tried to convert to char with 112 and 120. Any help appreciated

Code:
SELECT CONVERT(varchar(20), getdate(), 120)

You can use the Replace function to get rid of spaces, - and : if you need to. --James

select CONVERT(varchar, myDate, 120) as TheDate
etc

Is this what you meant?
HTH,
Graham

Close, however I just need the numbers
no dashes or spaces.
I tried
declare @date datetime
declare @vdate char(10)
set @date = getdate()
set @vdate = convert(char(18), @date, 112)
select @vdate
and you get 20030217, no hhmmss, that's the part i am looking for

This will work:

Code:
SELECT CONVERT(varchar(20), getdate(), 112) + Replace(CONVERT(varchar(20), getdate(), 108), ':', '')
--James

That's because your CONVERT is using 112, which is yyyymmdd - the time was never there. Try using 120, and see BOL CONVERT for the various formats.

timscronin,

When you give someone a virtual "pat on the back," make sure you let them know who is the recipient. From your comment, I can't determine who gave you the answer you used. If you haven't read the FAQs listed below, I recommend that you do. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and thread183-468158.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

HOW DO YOU CONVERT, FORMAT OR GET IT TO DISPLAY JUST 01/01/03 INSTEAD OF THAT LONG DATE AND TIME. lonniejohnson@prodev.com
ProDev, MS Access Applications B-) ,
May God blow your mind with His Glory in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back