Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct configuration for Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjzielinski

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
US
What I want is this:
When a user gets a virus, of course they never tell us. So I would like the program to send a message from the client to a central server, which in turn forwards an email to myself.
I have found Technical Document TEC288823 which somewhat describes what needs to be done. I have a scenario where my AD is the Admin Server and distribution server. I then use an application server as the Alert Manager. My questions are this:
1) Do the clients need Alert Manager installed?
2) How do I assign everybody but the Alert Manager to a branch, so that I can easily apply this policy?
3) Is anybody else doing this, how are you set up? Can you use the Admin server as your Alert Manager as well?

Bill Zielinski

1.) No.
2) just create a branch and put every client/server you want to be informed about into it (except the App-Server, you are running the Alert manager on)
3.) Yes we are doing this.
-> Clients/Servers we want to be informed about are in one branch with an Alert-Policy. This policy is configured with "forward to machine" (just use your App-Server).
The App-Server with the Alert-Manager on it has got to have the same policy but adding the option: forward to local event (but also forward to itselfs..do not ask me why :)

On the AppServer just run the Alert Manager and use the credentials for what you like to do..SMTP/PAger, etc...

Thats it.

Caution: Depending on who many clients you have and what for messages you want to be informed about, there can be a lot of messages...after starting you should have a good view on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back