Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corporate edition 8.1 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenannette

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hello,
Who among us has received and installed the corporate edition symantec 8.1 upgrade and has anyone installed it on a 2000 server? Plus I've still got some ancient 95 clients who require my legacy cd still in the server. I assume this will still apply. I've not read the documentation just yet.

Anything we need to know or any tips? TIA!

Just got it recently and so far I'm not that happy.

You will have to uninstall the older version of the server. For some reason it wouldn't let me install until I took out the older versions. But, luckily, it managed to keep some of my settings!

So far with clients I've only managed to get two working. Unless I'm just impatient, until you uninstall the client software and push the new version, it will always show on SSC with the old version.

I had one machine that would NOT install the client. It p*ssed me off so much that I wiped the machine and started over. It then accepted the client software with no problems. The other machine worked fine when I uninstalled the old software and reinstalled the current version.

The errors I got on the unlucky machine were something about SAVKRNL.vxd. This is odd because Win2k isn't supposed to rely on .vxd files anymore! Or so I thought... :)

J.R.

I have been deploying 8.0 then 8.1 to clients for the past couple of months now and I have tried different ways of doing it. Ideally, Remote Installation is a good option but it would not work. I mean, it would work with some clients and not work with others. So, I tried creating my own package and it still did not work. So, I went back to traditional ways and installed it by visiting each work station. There is a catch also. Previously, my workstations are running 7.0. Even if I uninstalled 7.0, there is still some settings that keeps the old parent server locked. So, what I did is install SAV 8.1 (w/o uninstalling 7.0), uninstall SAV 8.1, then re-install 8.1. This was the only way I found to be able to use my new parent server.

I'm just finding out how "fun" this "upgrade" is.

So far I've gone to each workstation as well. Best to log on as Administrator. Remove old version of Symantec Antivirus 8.0 and Live Update.

Reboot.

Log on again as Administrator. Wait for everything to come up. Then install remotely the 8.1 client.

Reboot.

Log on as Admin AGAIN. Wait for it to finish.

So far the worst problem I had was with Outlook not finding a specific .DLL file. If anyone needs this info look for Document ID 2002090613375148 -- "Error: 'The add-in 'C:\Program Files\NavNT\vpmsece.dll' could not be installed or loaded".

I hope Symantec gets it right by 8.2, or I'm going to have issues with using them.

J.R.

Thanks so much for all the advice. At this time, I think I'll wait it out and keep what I've got that's working right now.

*If it's not broke, don't fix it!*

I was able to update clients with 8.0 to 8.1 via remote. Remote installation after installing 8.1 on the server somewhat works but not 100%.

I had no problems upgrading to 8.1. Just about all my settings were saved and all the clients installed fine without uninstalling.

Hey, I have a question re: this. I have a workstation already running 8.1 client that has to be moved to a server running 8.0 server. Will I have to downgrade the workstation to make it work?

Sunshock,

I'm guessing here, because I don't have any docs or a machine in front of me right now, but just copy over the grc.dat file from the server to the client and see if it takes hold!

I'm pretty sure it will work...

J.R.

Replacing the client's grc.dat file with the new copy in the VPHOME share on the AV server should also fix the "old server listed on the client AV upgrade" problem.

Hey jrjuiliano, I'm getting the same message after uninstalling and reinstalling the NAV on my workstation. When I click Ok, the email opens and I don't ever see the message again until I open Outlook again. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but how do I get that darn file?? [ponder]

You'll need to show hidden files, but look for "extend.dat" in the Outlook folder.

For Windows 2000 it's documents and settings > username > local settings > application data > microsoft > outlook. Just rename extend.dat to extend.dat.old or something and then have the client restart.

HTH

J.R.

I found directions from Symantec to manually rip out Corporate AV 8.x...which I needed to do after a client install failed from the CD and it would NOT reinstall. After the manual removal (25 minutes) it reinstalled and runs perfectly on one pc, I tried the same process on and an identical pc next to it, and it still reboots itself right after logging in to win2k. It runs fine in SAFE mode, and the AV will even run fine there...go figure. This is too much like the search for the Holy Grail...to find the right install procedure.

Hey jrjuiliano, the message pops up whenever my computer is restarted. I have to replace the extend.dat file everytime?? [ponder]

I had problems with 8.1 upgrade from 7.5. with the Push install from server it tries to reboot the client prior to exiting the app. you need to babysit the program and click cancel until the app closes then reboot. otherwise it dosnt take and keeps installing everytime you reboot. Not fun stuff!!!

Todd

stephenandrews,

Hmmm, I've not had that problem yet. It works just fine for me, but maybe you need to delete the file entirely (MS Office will rebuild another one). Just wondering though, are you running some kind of Exchange or other e-mail server environment? I'm not, so there might be another difference...

I'll just post the KB article I referenced earlier:

Error: "The add-in 'C:\Program Files\NavNT\vpmsece.dll' could not be installed or loaded..."

Situation:
When you start Microsoft Outlook, an error message appears. It states:

"The add-in 'C:\Program Files\NavNT\vpmsece.dll' could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. Unable to load "C:\Program Files\NavNT\vpmsece.dll". You may be out of memory, out of system resources, or missing a .dll file."

Using the Detect and Repair option, as suggested in the error message, does not solve the problem.

Solution:
This error occurs when Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) was uninstalled from your computer prior to the installation of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (Symantec AV).

The default installation directory for Symantec AV 8.0 is: C:\Program Files\Symantec Client Security\Symantec Antivirus
However, Outlook is looking for Vpmsece.dll in the original NAVCE location: C:\Program Files\NavNT
To solve the problem, search your computer for Extend.dat and delete the file. Extend.dat will be recreated the next time you open Outlook, and the Exchange plug-in will be installed when the first email is opened. The default location of Extend.dat depends on the operating system:

Windows 98
C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Windows NT 4.0
C:\WinNT\Profiles\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
Windows 2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

In the path above, %Username% references the name of the profile currently logged on. To browse to this folder and locate Extend.dat, you must change Windows Explorer settings to show "Hidden Files and Protected Operating System files." For steps on showing hidden files, read the document How to show hidden files and protected operating system files in Windows.

Additional information about the cause of this error
When the Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (Symantec AV) or Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) client e-mail plug-in for Microsoft Exchange is installed, an LDVP value is created in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
The LDVP value data includes the path to Vpmsece.dll, for example:
Value: 4.0;C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmsece.dll;1;00000011111

The next time you click the Outlook Inbox after installing the e-mail plug-in for Microsoft Exchange, the path to Vpmsece.dll from the LDVP registry value is cached in the Extend.dat file. From then on, every time you open Outlook and click the Inbox, Outlook checks to see if the LDVP registry value still exists, but uses the cached path to Vpmsece.dll from Extend.dat.

The problem occurs when you upgrade to a newer version of Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition or Symantec AV using a new install location. When the previous version is uninstalled, the LDVP key is removed from the registry. During the install, a new LDVP value is created, which includes a new path to Vpmsece.dll. However, Outlook uses the older cached path to Vpmsece.dll from Extend.dat. This will not happen if you open Outlook and click the Inbox after uninstalling the previous version (but before installing the updated version), because the LDVP path is removed from Extend.dat if Outlook notices that the corresponding registry value was removed.

J.R.

I've upgraded 12 servers and approx 70 client machines so far without any issues.

I did what Symantec stated regarding nuking the extend.dat file, and I still have the problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

i am also having the exact same problem with no luck. So far I have:

- copied the vpmsece.dll into the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office folder
- renamed the extend.dat
- restarted

Same issue occurs. here are some more suggestions:

Create a “C:\Program Files\Navnt” folder, and copy the “vpmsece.dll” from your non-default location into the “C:\Program Files\Navnt” folder.

Use regsvr32 to unregister the dll, then reregister the dll in the appropriate directory.

courtesy of:
AND more solutions here:

Deanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back