Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corel X3 Welding objects inside of circles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macspec

Technical User
Feb 6, 2008
US
I bought a plasma machine to cut signs etc. most will be in the shape of a circle. 15" O.D. 13" ID (dough nut) I am using x3 to draw designs and convert to dxf files. All views I need are wire frame. Now if I draw a rectangle across the bottom qtr of the 2 circles and let it protrude past the circle about an inch, then place a wire frame text: lets say the word "FREEDOM" aligned so that it should weld on top of the rectangle but not touching the inner circle and the rectangle should weld to the circle. Now if I place an eagle with a wing span that crosses the circle in the upper 3/4 with out touching the word "Freedom" but the wing tips spread a little past the outer edge of the circle and then use the pick tool to select the entire drawing and then select the weld tool. The entire drawing disappears except for the outer circle and the wingtips of the eagle and the outside edges of the rectangle. I have tried it grouping the 2 circles, combining the 2 circles, but it happens the same way. I know I must be missing something simple as I have seen many signs and drawings done this way. The tedious way is to weld the words to the rectangle place it on the circle and then break apart the circle and start joining nodes at the intersections, but that is no fun. Any help will be appreciated.

The example is a little difficult to visualise, especially the mention of the eagle.

Is it possible you could save the CDR file to a web site somewhere (as it was immediately before you started any welding) and post the URL so we could download it and try a few things?

I'm with Harry on this one, a little hard to visualise but I feel it is perfectly do-able, maybe using a combination of trim and/or weld within Draw. I am a Signlab user as well and it's weld features are outstanding - I hope Corel at some stage can make it that easy.
Alan D

And is the desired result something like ...

eagle1.jpg

If so, I got there by selecting the two circles only, arrange:combine, fill with yellow (mainly so I could prove it had combined properly), then select all and arrange : shaping : weld.

I don't have anything to test DXF with, but exporting to DXF and importing back into CorelDraw gives a wireframe shape, which I guess is what you want.

Thanks a ton Harry. Exactly what I was looking for.I knew it had to be simple. I also found another way to do it today. First draw the 15" circle then do a contour offset 2" for the inner circle or what ever you desire. Then got to arrange and break apart the contour. Hit the back minus front button an then ad all the parts you want to weld and weld them. I found this by searching the net on youtube at so I give the credit to him using this method. I will try the steps you have outlined and go from there. Next up for me is learning to control cut order. I really appreciate your help on this.

Regards,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back