Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corel Draw and Website design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoombs

Technical User
May 6, 2006
GB
I use coreldraw elements 2 (previously had version 4). This works great for logo design etc. I now want to set up a one page website (my first go at web sites). I designed the page in corel. Is there a mechanism under which I can transfer the whole design to a web format and transfer to the host.

I have no websafe colors option in elements (at least I don't think so). Is this necessary for successful design.

I have further issues which I hope i can get help with later

Thanks
Mike

Web safe palletes are not manadatory, they just help avoid "funky" outputs by combining safe colors in an attempt to acheive your on screen (non-web safe) color.

I am not familiar with Corel Elements, so can't comment specifically on that part of the question. Corel Draw supports a web export, which does precisely what you are asking, but in most cases, I find it is better to start a web page from scratch then trying to manipulate the Corel output. I have had a few instances where I had to convert a print catalog to a web page catalog, and had no choice but to use the Corel function. I found it better to use a series of small PDF's then to try and use Corel's code.

If there is a similar function in Elements, I am not sure it would be a good way to learn web design. IMO if you want a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, search specifically for such a tool, and use that. I personally like the Macromedia products for that, but they are advanced tools. I am sure there are some good freebies and/or cheapies that would suffice to get your feet wet. You might check some of the web design forums. I would also avoid using MS Word, even though it does a suitable job converting the file to HTML, it is sort of a hybrid XML output, and very hard to edit. Many web servers choke on the MS code, and some sites even offer tools to remove the extraneous code from MS outputs.

My advice is stick to Corel for image enhancement, button creation, image conversion, resizing, etc. To truly learn HTML, start with Notepad. To get a web page of the kids and the dog online for Grandma and Aunt Bernie - go with a WYSIWYG with an easy to use interface.

Thank you,

Corel draw elements 2 is a pretty sophiticated scaled down version 11.

What I have ecided to do for now is use corel draw for my initial design, then re-create this design in serif webplus 9.

When I have the time I will learn html. In fact I found a good html step by step tutorial website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back