Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corel Draw 10 and Distiller problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku

Programmer
Sep 2, 2001
My problem is that when converting Corel Draw 10 document to pdf through Distiller 5.0.5 conversion is slow and it hangs up. How can I fix the problem. Somebody mentioned that Corel Draw has some prefferenses options that might help to change, but I don't know where to start.

I have heard that most secure way to make pdf for press is through Distiller. Corel Draw own pdf filter or pdf writer is not a option form me.

Please give me a glue! F: Riku Tuominen
riku.tuominen@benchmarking.fi

I am not sure regarding v10, but 11 has a "Publish to PDF" option. This I believe is an Acrobat Plugin. Anyway, there is an advanced tab that allows some modification to the file. One of the best things might be to convert all text to curves.

Sorry this isn't very specific to your application, but I have overcome a few obstacles with this method. If you can figure out the functionality of it, it may resolve your problems.

v10 has that but it is recommended that for press use, you distiller might obercome some obtacles that "publish to PDF" might create. F: Riku Tuominen

I have had no problems using the "Publish to PDF" function within Corel 10. I have successfully had posters printed from PDF files created that way through my service bureau. But there are many ways to distill to PDF. So you might want to check your preferences carefully.

Install the PDF Writer option that comes with Acrobat. When you run setup click on "custom" then install the PDF Writer. I have found that this works when the distiller does not. Then from your drawing just choose print and select PDF Writer as your printer.

Thanks gguerra, but I guess you did not read my hole text through. F: Riku Tuominen

I have to concur with Pixelchik, we have never run itno a service breauea issue using the publish to pdf option.

I would give it a wirl, submit the pdf to them, and find out if there are any issues they encounter. You may also talk to their tech support department, and have them walk you through thte options of the prepess pdf outputs. Many Service Breaus are anit-corel, but it may be worth the effort.

Thanks attrofy for advice.

Don't take wrong but press companies I have been talking to recommends to use Distiller. According to Adobe support Distiller creates the pdf file more direct approach to pdf postscript languge, and therefore according to them it is better to use it. I got my distiller to work but it takes a long time to process the file.

Maybe I am a bit stubburn. Well that is me sometimes, thinking only on the result?? Adobe mensioned that there should be some justment that can be done in Corel Draw which should make convertion to pdf faster. I thought maybe some one of you new something about it.

I thank you all for your responses.
F: Riku Tuominen

Speed is not one of Adobe (especially distillers) trademarks. Many of the Service Breau's are Mac/Adobe only temples. They cherrish everything to be true to it's Mac/Adobe roots. So I believe there is validity in what you state about the distiller.

If it is working, and takes a half hour (+plus) to render - it sounds like it is working about right. Maybe one day they will see the light - but I doubt it...

Oh well, it is good to have a dream....

Glad you got it to work.

Thanks attrofy. Yes Distiller works now, but is slow. So i will continue to make pdf for press use with distiller.
I believe more in the result than the speed. Even though maybe some day, somebody mails me a solution about what settings to change to get distiller work faster with Corel Draw. Adobe have told me that there exist setting to make it faster but was not able to tell how.
Well maybe some day ?? F: Riku Tuominen

Riku

You make a couple of interesting observations.
1) "According to Adobe support Distiller creates the pdf file more direct approach to pdf postscript languge" - - - You must have been speaking to first level support. Corel was actually instrumental in the creation of Postscript level lll with Adobe.

2) "Adobe have told me that there exist setting to make it faster but was not able to tell how." - - - - - Why would they not tell their customers how to get the most out of their program? Sounds strange to me.

Attrofy say's "Many Service Breaus are anit-corel, but it may be worth the effort." If you cannot locate a Service Bureau that will take a Corel file, check out There are many SB's world wide that will.

Best of Luck......Oh, and Happy New Year!

2) "Adobe have told me that there exist setting to make it faster but was not able to tell how." - - - - - Why would they not tell their customers how to get the most out of their program? Sounds strange to me.

They sead that they don-t support other software than their own. I think also it is stupid an d also told them so. The just sead that it is their policy not to. I acree with you!! F: Riku Tuominen

Thanks for the link rwam. I will be doing some serious price comparisons on our next printed project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back