Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Core Routing Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yehey

Technical User
Nov 23, 2007
AP
I've been studying for BSCI and been practicing routing protocols in GNS3. Im currently building a core network and would want your opinion on what routing protocol to use.

Initially, i was thinking of using ibgp and would would use eigrp for igp. Basically i have 4 core routers (WAN) interconnected via gigabit ethernet.

I decided to use bgp because this is what we used on our core network at work. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd run through setting up all of the routing protocols as your IGP. Would give best practice in seeing them all in action as well as how to configure them. I'd even have them all configured at the same time to play with adjusting AD values and watching the protocols adjust to the changes.

But that's just me.

That's a good idea. I;ll try that one :)

I agree with lerdalt on configuring all the IGPs first and understanding them individually, then play with two IGPs in different parts of the network and redistribute between them with and without filters. Also, play with injecting default routes. After that, set up EBGP and IBGP and see their behaviors individually. Try to make your BGP act as your IGP and see the issues there. Then, put BGP/IGPs together to get the big picture of how they interact. You will have many hours of fun!

I remember going through the same sort of lab when working on the BSCI. I think that was probably the most fun I actually had while doing any of the studies. Just have 3 to 4 routers at my finger tips and a white board. Would draw up how I wanted everything to connect, then put the configuration together.

Was great to see feasible successors for EIGRP, and just watch the whole routing topology change with just a few tweaks.

Like an acl...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back