Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Core I7 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I can normally run up to 6 32-bit VMs on my I7 without any problems. Normal running temperature is about 90C with 5 VMs running. The VMs could be using anything from 1 to 4 cores.

Up to last year, I used to be able to run a 64-bit VM without any problems. If I use just one 64-bit VM, the average running temperature shoots up to 95C. It stays between 95 and 99 for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the whole machine just shuts down because it is overheating. With 4 cores, it lasts about 5 minutes. With 1 core it lasts about 10 minutes.

I've tried vaccuming all the air vents. Didn't help at all.

Is it possible one of the cooling fans has died or some cooling mechanism is failing - how do I tell? It is a Dell Studio 1558 (laptop). Processor is a Q720 (1.6GHz).

Behind the air vents, the ventilation channels within a laptop are circuitous, and easily clogged with dust not easily removed. Partial disassembly may help. Powering up while partially disassembled may help you identify any fans that have failed.

Laptop fans are typically controlled by a coprocessor of some sort. There must be millions of possible permutations, because the various third party reverse-guess-engineered fan monitor and control programs mostly don't fully work.

Dell may have technical help 'available', but good luck getting escalated to someone who actually can and will help.

You probably knew all that already.

What happens, if the fan hasn't failed, is dust and hair, build up on the fins of the heatsink on the inside, closest to the fan blades. You must teardown the laptop, and remove the fan from the heatsink assy. and remove the buildup. Or replace the heatsink fan assy. It can be purchased from Dell, or place a service call if it is under warranty.

Quite surprising how time flies. I thought I only got the laptop last year but I've actually had it since 2010. Way past its warranty. I don't normally buy extended warranty anyway. Whatever it is, it will have to be a weekend job. Guess next Sunday is fully booked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back