Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cordless phone interferes with wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnell1

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
Can someone tell me if this is true or not. I bought a 108 Neatgear router because someone told me the 54G's would be interfered with by 2.4 cordless phones?

Thanks for sheding some light one this!

They might, Wireless and some cordless phones both work on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. If they do interfere with each other just change the channel that your wireless router is on. They mostly default to channel '6' change it to 1 or 11.
Hope this helps.

Just when you think that you have your systems up to date, someone finds a new vulnerability.

Most modern wireless phones are DSS, and the possibility of intereference is always there.

Having said that, a good quality wireless phone should pose no special issues.

You can try changing channels on your wireless router/AP, but DSS makes this an ambiguous solution. Do keep the phone base station at least 6 feet from your wireless router/AP.

I would not hesistate to purchase either 802.11G wireless networking products and a wireless phone. In most cases they work perfectly well together. To give you some idea how close, and how overlapping channels are in this band, see the following (a picture is worth a 1,000 words):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back