Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CORBA Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagg

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
IE
What types of applications would benefit from using the CORBA Naming Service?
What types would benefit from using CORBA Event service?

The most types. What especially do you mean?

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

filipski@excite.com

You need to use the CORBA Naming Service to locate CORBA objects. So you need to use the Naming Service for almost any CORBA based system, to communicate and transfer information between applications. So almost any application that needs to make requests to another application via CORBA would find the Naming Service valuable.

The Event Service is almost like the Notification Service. It is used to communicate between applications when something happens. So applications that need to know when something happens in the system would find the Event Service valuable. But you probably want to go with the Notification Service, if you have a choice. It is the upgraded Event Service.

There are many ways to find your servant Objects (when they are not running on the same machine) You can save your IOR into a file pass the file to the client machine and use it as input to your client application. Or you can register your servant in a naming service and the client will get the IOR from there.

The event service dissociates the client from the server. Neither has to know about the other or even of the existence of the other.
Another point is if you want to multicast information to many clients. Pacifica, your right about the notification service being more powerfull especially about filtering but many corba implementations do not offer the notification service yet...

"There are many ways to find your servant Objects (when they are not running on the same machine)... "
What does this mean ? Is there an easier method to find the servant objects (without the IOR) if both client and server are on the same machine ?

I thought you have to locate a servant object only through its IOR even if they are in the same machine - the only exception could be when the client and server are collocated i.e in the same address space in which case you may have a pointer to the servant but this is not CORBA right ! Correct me if I'm wrong ?)

areza123, thats not what i meant. I mean to pass the IOR to another pc not using the naming service is not straightforward, since you either have to use a common file system or pass the file via ftp (or any other way).

When you are on the same machine using the ior is the simplest way.

If you don`t want to use the IOR you have to set the server listening to a fixed port, then you can find it via the well known adress of the server (using ORBEndpoint and ORBInitRef)

btw. when using the naming service you are likewise using the ior to locate the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back