Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copying Win2k to new HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbalazs

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Is there a way to copy a win2k installation from one hdd to another? Both disks are formatted ntfs and are master and slave on the same channel, currently.
Thanks.
Tony.

I would make an image of it. Use Norton Ghost or similar.

I agree, the best way to transfer the data and file system is to clone or image the existing drive or partition.

Thank you guys. That's what I will do.
Tony.

The partition which I want to ghost has bad sectors on it. Will these be transferred across by cloning / ghosting?

Norton ghost is supposed to copy only data. If the bad sectors have corrupted data, then it will copy the corrupted data. I would run a scandisk to repair any corrupted or lost data into free space or attempt to repair before you clone the drive.

Thanks Jeremy.
You would run chkdsk /r from a reboot?

Not too familiar w/ ntfs, but scandisk is more through than chkdsk. If you cant run a scan outside of windows, try scheduling a scan next time the pc boots by checking the automatically fix errors as well as scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors inside windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back